Author Topic: Exciting new BrewVIC meeting events: Style mini-focus  (Read 4280 times)

davejanssen

• BrewVIC Member
    • View Profile
Exciting new BrewVIC meeting events: Style mini-focus
« on: June 10, 2013, 05:10:51 PM »
Hi All,

I'm happy to announce a new and exciting feature at future meetings! You won't believe how awesome this is. If you ever thought you heard of something awesome before, this will knock the pants off of that. So to the news.

At each monthly meeting, starting in August, we'll have a style that all members are invited to brew and compare with each other. Any/all homebrew beer is still happily recommended, but this can give a bit of structure and provide a new learning opportunity for the beer sharing part of meetings. Basically the plan is to set a style two months or more before a meeting. When that meeting roles around folks can bring in their examples of the style so that when you try the beers of other folks you can learn about how their process and recipe shaped their beer. Hopefully this gives you some new insight into recipe formulation and process tricks to make the beer you want. When possible, we'll try to have someone give a brief run-down of the style at a meeting before most people brew it so you can get a basic idea of what's up if you've never brewed that style before. Again, any and all homebrew is still encouraged at meeting so don't feel obliged to brew the style mini-focus of the meeting. But a style mini-focus should add a fun way to try different takes on the same basic beer.

Monthly meetings will still have their own specific focus. This is just a small part of meetings in addition to whatever discussion/activity focus we have.

The style for August is American Pale Ales. We thought we'd start with something a lot of people brew anyway to get going. So bring your pale ales and maybe some simple info like recipe and how you brewed it to the August meeting and try out some other examples of the style.

If you really want to plan in advance, the style for September is British Ales. This is pretty open so British milds, bitters, browns etc. are all included. And with so many of us preparing for a bountiful hop harvest this fall, we'll do fresh hop beers in October.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 06:08:04 PM by davejanssen »

arloarlo

• View Profile
Re: Exciting new BrewVIC meeting events: Style mini-focus
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 05:18:39 PM »
Love it. I've got some Wyeast 1056 ready to go!

Mark Atkinson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 06:00:35 PM »
I've heard a few awesome things before but, as awesome things go, this truly out-awesomers all the others.

I like it and I will brew an American Pale Ale very soon.

davejanssen

• BrewVIC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 06:07:42 PM »
Yeah, it's pretty awesome. Also, to anyone that saw this before I edited it I definitely meant knock the pants off of it rather than know the pants of it. That would have made no sense.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 06:09:57 PM by davejanssen »

DaveMitchell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 09:15:27 PM »
Ouch, my pants!

Jonathan Gibson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 12:07:14 PM »
I love it :D I'm definitely excited to bring and share some homebrew :D it will be great to meet everyone and sample some great craft beer and soak up some knowledge :D

Eric Jourdan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 10:36:36 AM »
Sounds great!  I will have to harvest the 1968 when my special bitter is done fermenting.

Jonathan Gibson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 12:28:14 AM »
So I'm working on getting a English Brown Ale going for the next meeting, but for the wet hop brew in october I was curious, can you buy wet hops at the LHBS or do you just buy from whoever is growing with and abundance?  I'm just curious because I'm trying to plan the beer making lol and manage the space in the back room and I am also excited to try a wet IPA :)

Eric Jourdan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 02:39:34 PM »
I don't know of anywhere you can purchase wet hops locally, I think most people who use them are growers, or get them from backyard growers.

TimT

• BrewVIC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 05:36:22 PM »
Your best bet JohhnyG is to come to a meeting around that time. There are quite a few folks who grow hops and I expect you could get some for cheap or free but you pick them just by asking around, asking on the facebook page would be a good idea as well.  We will probably do some sort of fresh hop event as well.

Jonathan Gibson

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 10:32:54 PM »
Your best bet JohhnyG is to come to a meeting around that time. There are quite a few folks who grow hops and I expect you could get some for cheap or free but you pick them just by asking around, asking on the facebook page would be a good idea as well.  We will probably do some sort of fresh hop event as well.

That's what I thought  ;D  I have some runners I picked up from Rob (thank you very much)  this year they are doing great getting a good root ball going, and next year I think I'll have some fresh grown but I will certainly be at the meeting's so I'll just keep communication open and i'm sure I will find some to play with :) if not there is always next year  8)