Author Topic: My first fermenation cabinet!  (Read 2444 times)

Rhinocook

• View Profile
My first fermenation cabinet!
« on: January 28, 2014, 10:11:13 AM »
hey all,

Well, after many many hours of researching on here and other sites I finally decided on a design for my fermentation cabinet. 

I wanted to try and keep the cost down (never seems to work) so I used old pallets for the outside (free), bought a used bar fridge off used vic ($30). and picked up vinyl stick tiles for the inside ($16).  Had to buy the insulation, plywood and 2x2 straight, couldn't find any used, free or cheap. 

So it's 3 inches of rigid foam insulation with an r value of 15 right to the very outside corners where it is only 1.5" as there needed to be room for the 2x2's.  Cooled with the mini fridge and will be heated with a heating mat that will cover the back wall.  I bought a Ranco ETC dual stage controller (not cheap!!! hindsight is 20/20) to control it.  Pallet wood outside, door handle from used restaurant supply company I use often for work.  Stain that I had left over from my fence.
   As you can see, the stick tiles were maybe too cheap as the day after I put them in I found several fell off the ceiling and walls!  So I fixed it with 1/2" screws and finishing washers.  I don't think that should affect the r value as it just barely goes through the plywood so the foam is fine behind it.  The ones on the floor stayed fine.  I was going to use FRP board that we use in commercial kitchens all the time, but the cost is very high.

Take a look.  Cheers,

Rhinocook

• View Profile
Re: My first fermenation cabinet!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 10:13:57 AM »
And here it is finished! 

RussH

• BrewVIC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 11:24:44 AM »
Very nice work.  Keep posting this type of stuff.  I feel motivated. 

DavidL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 08:11:51 PM »
very nice!!!!! I am actually thinking of using my broken fridge..... ( drilled through the gas line ) to add cooling to my fermentation chamber.... just got to get some coper and N2.... maybe soon enough... also love the stain, looks too good to be in garage!

Rhinocook

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 08:17:52 PM »
Thanks guys.  I'm quite happy with it.  I would love for it not to be in my garage, it would be easier to heat!!! 

DaveMitchell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 08:33:08 PM »
You win.

Rhinocook

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 08:48:44 AM »
You win.

SWEET!  what do I win?? I could use some pin lock fittings!!!! haha

BleepBeepClick

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 06:14:24 AM »
Looks amazing! Using those pallets is an awesome idea!